Bromelain is an enzyme that is found in pineapple, particularly its juice and the plant stem. This is used as a medicine for different conditions including nasal inflammation, digestive disorders, osteoarthritis, and wounds. It can be a topical ointment, powder, capsule, or tablet.
Let us take a closer look at what makes bromelain a medicinal enzyme. Here are some of its major health benefits:
- Is anti-inflammatory- Bromelain is known to have anti-inflammatory capacities, and it can decrease inflammatory mediators in the body. This is the reason why it is used as a treatment to nasal and sinus swelling. Also, it is used to reduce swelling of wounds especially after surgery.
- Relieves bone and joint pain – This enzyme has also the capacity to ease discomfort of bones and joints, which are usually caused by arthritis and other related ailments. This is also used for sore muscles and joints.
- Effective for wound and burn healing– Due to its being anti-inflammatory, it has become a common ingredient for topical medicines for injuries, wounds, and burns. It is known to remove dead tissue from burns and wounds.
- Aids in digestion problems – Bromelain has protease properties, which are helpful for normalising digestive activities. For this reason, it is used to solve indigestion problem and heartburn. It can also be a treatment for bloating.
- Boosts the immune system – This is also proven to increase immunity and improve the total function of the immune system. According to Global Healing Center, a German study showed that intake of bromelain supplements can help improve women’s immune health.
Research show that Bromelain is used for reducing swelling (inflammation), especially of the nose and sinuses, after surgery or injury. It is also used for preventing muscle soreness after intense exercise.
A review of clinical studies found that bromelain’s anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties make it an effective treatment for the pain, soft-tissue swelling, and joint stiffness associated with osteoarthritis. The review focused on bromelain’s effectiveness in treating arthritis of the knee and shoulder.
Find out more about the health benefits of bromelain, especially if it is combined with other powerful dietary supplement ingredients in Yuuto. You can also ask recommendations from your doctor for better effects.